Sunday, August 2, 2009

Why Anthropology?

I am a student of Anthropology at Athabasca University. I'm also taking anthro classes at the U of C. I'm often asked "Why Anthropology?"

My answer is found in this quote:

"The purpose of Anthropology is to make the world safe for human differences" - Ruth Benedict

That's why. I can't imagine a world without human differences. I wouldn't want to.

We are so busy "civilizing" the world that we're destroying the diversity that has allowed us to thrive. I want to learn what I can from other cultures before they disappear completely.

Anthropology has many different areas of study. Archaeology, linguistics and primatology are just a few examples that are often considered part of the Anthropology department at various universities.

My area of study is Cultural Anthropology: the study of human behaviour. Why do we do the things we do?

My hope is that as I learn about other cultures and how they behave, I'll learn about myself in the process.

Maybe I'll also learn why I do things like this when I think no one is looking:



PS - Yes, I realize that shirt isn't very flattering but it's super comfy. I promise I'll change it before I go out in public again

PPS - Pictures like this are what happen when you don't hide your telephoto lens from your husband.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful. Anthropology was really and truly what I wanted to study in school but others convinced me that I would never make a living at it so I went into another field - Accounting. While I do enjoy what I do, I often wonder what I would be doing if I stuck with Anthropology - I'm so glad you are doing that - I think it's wonderful !

    ReplyDelete